Cambodia monopoly gaming operator NagaCorp may lay off about 1300 workers
A source confirmed that there are “discussions and negotiations ongoing” at NagaWorld that involve “possible voluntary separation arrangements as well as potential lay-offs”.
Separately, a Cambodian labour group representative said that more than 1,300 jobs were at risk. The figure had been mentioned last week in a report by Cambodia media outlet VOD.
NagaWorld suspended operations during the first quarter 2021, after some workers tested positive for Covid-19. At the time this story went online, the property’s promoter had not announced any return to business.
Up to February 20, i.e., prior to suspension, Hong Kong-listed NagaCorp said it had “continued to record recovery” of gaming volumes during the first quarter.
A nighttime curfew in Phnom Penh, first introduced on April 1 as a countermeasure against the further spread of the pandemic, has been extended to April 28.
Tourist resorts across Cambodia are also to remain shut down until that date, according to the latest announcement from Cambodian authorities.
Sithar Chhim, the leader of a grouping called “Labor Rights Supported Union of Khmer Employees of NagaWorld”, revealed that her group had received information earlier this month that the casino operator has planned to lay off about 1,329 employees during April.
Editing by Rachel Hu